Just like humans, dogs need a strong immune system to fight off infections and diseases. But sometimes, dogs' immune systems can get weakened, which can make them more susceptible to illness. You need to know how to protect your pup—and we’ve got you covered.
Keep reading to find out how to keep your fur baby’s immune system happy and healthy!
Why is a Strong Immune System Important for Dogs?
A strong immune system is like a superpower for your dog, helping them fight off infections, ward off diseases, and recover from injuries. It also helps them maintain a healthy weight, shiny coat, and strong teeth and gums. [1,2]
What Can Weaken Your Dog's Immune System?
There are a number of things that can contribute to a weakened immune system in dogs, including: [3,4]
What Are Some Signs Your Dog Has Weakened Immunity?
If you notice any of these signs, take your pup to the vet right away: [3,4]
If you think your dog's immune system may be weak, talk to your veterinarian. They can help you determine the cause and recommend treatment options. Your veterinarian may recommend a blood test to check your dog's white blood cell count and other immune system markers.
How to Keep Your Dog's Immune System Healthy
In addition to medical treatment, there are also a number of things you can do at home to help naturally boost your dog's immune system. Here are a few of our favorite tips: [5,6,7]
Maintain a healthy diet for your pup. A diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains will help provide your dog with the nutrients they need to stay healthy. Before feeding your pup anything new besides their daily kibble, consult your vet first. Some specific foods that are good for immune health include:
Make sure your dog gets plenty of exercise. Exercise helps to strengthen the immune system and reduce stress. This can look like your dog’s daily walks, runs, or playtime indoors. Whatever gets those paws tapping and legs moving!
Avoid exposing your dog to too much stress. Stress can weaken the immune system, so it's important to find ways to keep your dog calm and relaxed. Some ways to reduce stress in dogs include:
Know The Ins & Outs
Understand the importance of gut health. The gut is home to a large number of beneficial bacteria that play an important role in the immune system. A healthy gut is essential for a strong immune system in your furry friend.
You should also understand the benefits of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage, which can help to keep the immune system strong. Good sources of antioxidants include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains as we mentioned above.
Consider giving your dog immune-boosting supplements. There are a number of supplements available that can help to support a healthy immune system. However, it's important to talk to your veterinarian before giving your dog any supplements, as some can interact with medications or have other side effects.
Not sure which supplements to look for? Not to fret—we’ve got you covered there, too.
A happy, healthy gut makes for a happy, healthy pup. PupGrade Digestive Chews are made with a blend of all-natural, pup-safe ingredients that help to support doggy gut health. A healthy gut is essential for a strong immune system, so these chews can be a great way to help boost your dog's immune defenses.
But what exactly makes these chews so great for pup immunity? We’re glad you asked. Unlike other brands, our Digestive Chew formula includes a variety of gut health goodies like:
These powerhouse ingredients work in synergy with each other to help “good bacteria” thrive in the GI tract, eliminate harmful bacteria and pathogens, and provide digestive and immunity support.
PupGrade Multivitamin Chews are a great way to give your dog the essential vitamins and minerals they need to stay healthy. These chews are made with a blend of natural ingredients, including:
Nutrients like these are vital for not just your pup’s immune system, but their overall health and wellness. Our Daily Multi contains the perfect blend of vitamins, amino acids, and essential fatty acids to ensure that your dog is getting exactly what they need to feel their best.
A Note on General Pup Health & Wellness
Need some additional tips and tricks for a healthy pup's immune system? Take a look:
Remember, your pup’s health is in your hands, and PupGrade is here to help Click here to explore more of our all-natural doggy chews to help your best friend live their fullest life.
We've gone ahead and enclosed a 10% OFF Coupon below for you to use in the store - remember, your puppy DESERVES to have the healthiest life! Click here to start shopping!
- Pereira, M., Valério-Bolas, A., Saraiva-Marques, C., Alexandre-Pires, G., Pereira da Fonseca, I., & Santos-Gomes, G. (2019). Development of Dog Immune System: From in Uterus to Elderly. Veterinary Sciences, 6(4), 83. MDPI AG. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/vetsci6040083
- Tizard, I. R. (2023, August 22). Immune system responses in dogs - dog owners. Merck Veterinary Manual. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/dog-owners/immune-disorders-of-dogs/immune-system-responses
- Common immune weaknesses in dogs. Nectar of the dogs. (n.d.). https://nectarofthedogs.com.au/blogs/dog-parenting-made-easier/common-immune-weaknesses-in-dogs#:~:text=A%20
- Wag. (2023, May 18). Immune deficiency diseases in dogs. Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost. https://wagwalking.com/condition/immune-deficiency-diseases
- Natural ways to improve your dog’s immune system. PetMD. (n.d.). https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health
- Huntingford, Dr. J. (n.d.). 8 ways to keep your dog’s immune system strong this winter. Pet Wellbeing Blog. https://blog.petwellbeing.com/8-ways-to-keep-your-dogs-immune-system-strong-this-winter
- Lotz, K. (2023, June 5). Dog probiotics give a dog’s digestive tract an immune boost. American Kennel Club. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/give-dogs-digestive-tract-immune-boost/