You’re slicing up a delicious mango and your dog is behind you, giving you the typical puppy eyes. Can you feed your doggy friend some of your mango snacks? Keep reading to find out.
First of all, what CAN dogs eat?
Every dog’s diet varies, depending on weight, age, and any health conditions. It’s important to consult your veterinarian about what kind of foods your pup should be eating on a daily basis. Here are a few things to think about for a complete and balanced diet:
- An appropriate amount of essential amino acids and essential fatty acids. Consider the six basic nutrients: Water, fats, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, and vitamins.
- Some of the most common toxic foods: Artificial sweeteners, garlic and garlic powder, avocados, chocolate, mushrooms, yeast dough, grapes and raisins, and onion and onion powder.
If you’d like to learn more about human food alternatives you can feed your dog, click here!
Are Mangos Healthy For My Dog?
Yes! Your dog can eat that yummy mango snack. Mangos can provide your dog with the following benefits:
- Source of vitamins C, E, A, and B6
- Dietary Fibers
- Help to lower cholesterol
- Improves immune system, digestive health, and eyesight
- Help to decrease inflammation
Are There Any Dangers From Feeding My Dog Mango?
Though your dog can eat mangos, there are some possible dangers:
- The skin of a mango can be difficult for your pup to digest, and can also be a possible skin irritant.
- Feeding your dog too much mango can cause constipation, diarrhea, or bellyaches.
- Because there are more calories in mangos than some other common fruits, too much of the sweet treat could potentially lead to dental decay.
- Mango pits are very dangerous to your pooch. Not only are they a choking hazard, but they contain small amounts of cyanide which is toxic to dogs and humans.
- If your dog has food allergies, mangos might pose a potential threat. Consult your vet before feeding your dog any kind of new treat or snack.
If you need some healthy alternatives, especially if your dog has a mango allergy, we recommend our Daily Multivitamin chews! These treats are safe for dogs and puppies of all breeds, sizes, ages, and activity levels, and provide essential fatty acids for heart health and probiotic enzymes for healthy digestion.
How Do I Serve Mango to My Dog?
Your vet can tell you how often and how many mangoes your dog can eat, so talk with them first. If you decide to feed your pup a mango, start by peeling the skin off the mango, removing the pit, and cutting the mango up into smaller chunks that will be easy to swallow.
Only give mangos as an occasional treat and feed in moderation, as one cup of sliced mango has about 22 grams of sugar and a total of 99 calories. Experts say treats should only be 10% of your dog’s caloric intake, but every dog is different.* Ask your vet what the right amount is for your dog. Here are a few feeding suggestions:
- Freeze a few slices and serve as a tasty frozen treat, which can be great for teething puppies!
- Thinly slice the mango into smaller bits to use as positive training treats.
- Mix mango puree with yogurt for a decadent doggy dessert.
- Sliced chewy dried mango can be a fan favorite for any dog.
Wondering what other kinds of goodies are out there? Check out our digestive chews. These chews are recommended for dogs with an imbalanced digestive system and contain nutrient-rich ingredients like blueberry powder, pumpkin powder, and prebiotics.
We've gone ahead and enclosed a 10% OFF Coupon below for you to use in the store - remember, your puppy DESERVES to have the healthiest life! Click here to start shopping!
What treats are your furry friend’s favorite?
“Can Dogs Eat Mango?” Www.purina.com, www.purina.com/articles/dog/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-mango.
“Can My Dog Eat Mango?” The Dog People by Rover.com, 20 Oct. 2016, www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-eat-mango/. Accessed 4 Feb. 2022.
Llera, Ryan, and Cheryl Yuill. “Nutrition - General Feeding Guidelines for Dogs.” Vca_corporate, 2009, vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/nutrition-general-feeding-guidelines-for-dogs.
Sep 10, Katherine Ripley, et al. “Can Dogs Eat Mango? Are Mangoes Good for Dogs?” American Kennel Club, www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-mango/#:~:text=Before%20feeding%20your%20dog%20mango. Accessed 4 Feb. 2022.